Building a Research Strategy
A. Pick a Topic
- Choose a topic relevant to the class/project
- If possible, pick something of interest to you
B. Background Information
- Search reference materials (dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.) for background information
- Try to find key terms, researchers, methods, etc.
C. Refine Topic
- Determine if you need to narrow or broaden your topic
D. Develop a Search Plan
- What are the key concepts of your topic?
- Where will you search? Databases, Government Sources, Books, Personal Interviews, etc.?
E. Evaluate Sources
- Is the author/source reliable?
- Is the source current?
- Is the source/information relevant to your topic?
- Is it peer-reviewed?
F. Cite Sources
- Use the appropriate citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago, ect.)
- Collect and organize your citations as you research